A forensic accountant is usually retained in matters where there are complex financial or business-related issues which have to be reviewed, analysed, or interpreted and summarised in a format that can be understood by non-financial people.
Forensic accountants can be utilised at a variety of stages in a legal dispute, including:
- Quantification of a claim pre-litigation, including assistance in identifying potential tax consequences of the different approaches that a claimant may take, whether from the point of view of the claimant or the defendant
- Investigation and analysis of financial evidence at all stages of a legal dispute
- Communication of findings in a digestible, jargon-free format to assist in the resolution of a dispute
- Communication of findings in a format suitable for presentation at Court
- Testifying in Court as an expert witness
- Fulfilling the role of a shadow adviser to provide independent advice to either party to a dispute
Forensic accountants can assist in legal proceedings: matrimonial, civil or criminal. For more information, please see our Services section.